Our website only contains limited information in English. If you need more help, please call our customer centre on (+47) 32 11 80 00. The customer centre is open between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays.

The land register – register of ownership and encumbrances

Norwegian properties are registered in the land register, which is the official register of legal rights and obligations associated with real property and housing cooperatives. The land register lists ownership and encumbrances such as mortgages, leasing rights, pre-emptive purchasing rights, and so on. Details of physical aspects relating to a property, such as borders, areas, buildings and addresses, are registered in the New Cadastre property register, which is maintained by the individual municipalities.

The land register is a public register and anyone may enquire about information that is registered for a property. You can order a printed version of the land register information for a property via our online store – order printed land registry information. You can also call our customer centre to find out what information is registered.

In order to change the information registered for a property in the land register, the owner must submit a document to the Land Registry explaining the reason for the change. There are special forms for the commonest types of documents, such as a change in ownership, inheritance and mortgaging. See later in this article.


New owners and legal rights holders are registered with their Norwegian personal identification number in the land register. Individuals without a Norwegian personal identification number can also be registered in the land registry, but must provide their D-number instead.

Application for D-number.

Send the application and documents for registration to the offices of the Norwegian Mapping Authority. Documents concerning real property (cadastral number and title number) should be sent to:

Norwegian Mapping Authority, Mapping and Cadastre

Documents concerning flats in housing cooperatives (company registration number and flat number) should be sent to:

Norwegian Mapping Authority, Ullensvang

How to register information and which form to use

The most common information registered by private individuals in the land register is property transfers. Here on our website, you will find the forms to be used for regular property sales and inheritance. These forms are not available in English.

Once you have sent the documents to the Land Registry, the registration process consists of a simple document check performed by the Norwegian Mapping Authority. If the documents are in order, they are stamped and registered in the land register. The documents are then returned to you along with an invoice for the fee and any document charges. If a form is filled out incorrectly, it will be returned to you along with a letter explaining how to correct the errors.

In Norway, it is common practice to get help from an estate agent or solicitor with transferring property. However, there are no requirements in regard to the person who submits the information, and private individuals can also personally submit documents for registration.

Transfer of real property – conveyance

The conveyance form can be found here (Norwegian). This form should be completed and registered when a real property is to be transferred from one person to another, in connection with a sale, gift or other voluntary transfers. The conveyance must contain information about the transfer: the seller, purchaser, sale amount, etc. This information is registered in the land register. The seller must sign page 2 of the conveyance form in the presence of two witnesses domiciled in Norway, or possibly a Norwegian solicitor or estate agent, who may act as a sole witness.

Real property is a type of property identified by a municipal, cadastral and title number. If the property you are transferring is identified by numbers such as these, you should use this form.

Transfer of housing cooperative flat – transferring lawful title to part of a housing cooperative

The “Transfer lawful title to part of a housing cooperative” form (Norwegian) should be completed and registered when a flat in a housing cooperative is to be transferred from one person to another.

The form has a similar layout to that used for conveyance, with certain differences. Flats in housing cooperatives are identified by their name and company registration number along with the flat number for the property.

Inheritance – declaration of lawful title

The “Declaration of lawful title” form in the event of inheritance, administration of an estate and undivided estate can be found for real property (Norwegian) and for housing cooperative flats (Norwegian). This form should be used to transfer a property from a person who has died to the legatees.

If the deceased lived in Norway, a certificate of probate is issued by a local court to document the identities of the legatees.  The certificate of probate must be submitted to the Land Registry along with the declaration of lawful title. If the deceased lived in a country other than Norway, you must enclose equivalent official documentation that tells us who the lawful legatees are.

If the deceased has made a will, this must also be enclosed. If the will includes provisions that need to be registered, it must be translated into Norwegian.

Mortgage and security documents

If you wish to register a mortgage, you must fill out a security document. The security document for real property can be found here (Norwegian), and the security document form for flats in housing cooperatives can be found here (Norwegian).

All judicial registration forms

There are more forms that may be used for judicial registration, but all of them are in Norwegian. You can get in touch with our customer centre if you need help, or contact a Norwegian solicitor for assistance.

All judicial registration forms (Norwegian).